Dakota Trout Unlimited
October 13, 2022
(Fiscal Year 2023)
Call Meeting to Order: Meeting called to order by VP Royce Meritt at 7:05 PM
September Minutes posted on website. Motion carried to approve
Treasurer’s Report: Checking account: $10.410.41; Money Market Account: $9002.49
Membership Coordinator’s Report: 287 members; 9 new members; 51 renewals; 33 memberships to expire this month)
Social Media Coordinator’s Comments:
- Holiday Social: Thursday, December 8, 2022, 7-9pm at the Pizza Ranch on 41st St., Sioux Falls
- “Take Back the Trash” event: Saturday, September 10, 2022, Rolling GPA and Lake Vermillion, Good member participation. 3 at Rolling GPA and 4 at Lake Vermillion. Sack Lunch provided.
- 2023 Banquet: Saturday, April 22, 2023 at the Harrisburg Event Center. HyVee is our caterer, 2 meats (Smoked Chicken and Pulled Pork), Cheesy Potatoes, Salad, and Fresh Fruit Mix. $16 per plate plus $35 for delivery and $30 per hour/per person for catering staff.
- Trappers Association Convention: Held on September 10, 2022
- Nebraska Casting for Recovery: Volunteer Fly Fishing Guides needed on Sunday September 25, 2022, at Ponca State Park.
- Custer Wastewater Treatment Plant: We wrote a letter of concern about the plan to use French Creek for the discharge of effluent water. The Custer Citizen’s Group is planning a legal confrontation with the City of Custer.
- Dakota TU 10-Year Commemoration: Ice Cream Cake served with the book give-away.
- Other Old Business:
- South Dakota Casting for Recovery: Sandy Richter provided an update on the formation of a Casting for Recovery program in South Dakota. The first South Dakota CfR retreat will be held on September 15, 16 & 17, 2023 at Outlaw Ranch outside of Custer, SD. The SD program was given a donation of $25,000 by a person who has supported the Nebraska program to get the program running in SD. Sandy procured a donation of 15 rod kits from Mud Hole. These rods will be built by a group of veterans whom Sandy works with through The Outdoor Campus. Dakota TU will use our normal donation of $1200 to CfR to purchase 15 reels, backing, lines, leaders and tippet through TU’s 501(3)c program from Temple Fork Outfitters and Scientific Anglers. A motion was made by Jim B. and seconded by Jeff B. to also make a $1200 donation to CfR in addition to the purchase of the the reels, lines, etc. Motion carried. It was also suggested that we explore the possibility of paying the first year of membership in Trout Unlimited for the CfR retreat participants.
- Trout in the Classroom: We will be re-establishing our involvement in the Trout in the Classroom project for the 2022-2023 school year. The 4 schools in which we have had the program in the past wish to continue and we will be adding one more classroom this year. We will be using some surplus TiC equipment from when GF&P discontinued their involvement in the program to get this new classroom set up. We will need to purchase chemicals and some other supplies. The state fish hatchery in Yankton will supply us with trout eggs at no cost.
- Holiday Social Fly Tying Theme: “Deck the Halls” (must have tinsel and must be named)
- Other New Business:
Activity: “A Conversation about Gary Creek” hosted by: Rhett Russell, Fisheries Biologist with SD GF&P